Not surprisingly, on the Mexican coast surf camps and surf schools are very common (with instructors and rentals of sports equipment). Prices for accommodation, training and equipment rentals there are not very high – a night at the surf camp will cost about $10-20, and instructor services at $50-70 for a few days of training. From this article you will learn about the best places to surf in Mexico, where both experienced and novice surfers can come to catch waves.
Top 10 Surfing Destinations in Mexico
This resort stretches for 17 miles along the sandbar, which is washed by the waters of the Gulf of Mexico and the Caribbean Sea. Most of the surf spots in Cancun are on the east coast of the spit, which is washed by the waves of the Caribbean Sea. Due to the Atlantic current, the waves in these places are quite high, which will certainly appeal to experienced surfers.
- Beginning surfers should visit the 360 Surf School, located in the Zona Hotelera of the popular resort.
There you can rent equipment and a board of any size, and experienced instructors will teach you how to catch a wave, even if it’s the first time you’ve ever stood on a board.
The city will delight tourists with beautiful scenery, friendly atmosphere and a lot of interesting activities. The best surf spots of this place are Playa Olas Altas and Playa Bruja, which are washed by the waves of the Pacific Ocean.
- One of the best surf camps in Mazatlan is Mazatlan Surf Addiction, which is located at the foot of the Sierra Madre.
This camp is geared toward both experienced and beginner surfers. Beginners can try to stand on a safe foam board for the first time under the guidance of an experienced instructor, while experienced surfers can hone their surfing skills with Surf Tours programs. This place is great for relaxing with friends or family.
- Another surf school in Mazatlán, Pueblo Bonito Surf School, offers tourists personalized surfing instruction and visits to secret surf spots.
In addition to riding on the waves, there you will be offered to ride a sapsurf, swim underwater with a snorkel, see exotic fish and dolphins.
It has been a surfing mecca since the 1950s and its surf spots are suitable for all skill levels. Experienced athletes prefer to ride on the beach Zicatela, where you can meet the giant waves of height from 2 to 4 meters. Fans of extreme sports are recommended to go there from May to November. Not far from Zikatela there is another beach – La Punta, where the waves are not so aggressive. For beginners, it is best to learn to ride on Carisalillo beach, where the surf is relatively calm.
- In Puerto Escondido, surfers can stay at the Hakula Surf Camp and School, which is just 50 meters from one of the best point breaks.
Beginners learn on a safe surf spot with small waves and a personal instructor. The equipment rental shop rents different types of boards – long boards, fun boards and short boards. Surfers are accommodated in comfortable apartments for 1, 2, 3 and 4 people, with Wi-Fi access, bathrooms, mosquito nets and fans. The minimum tuition will cost $70 for 3 days.
The city is surrounded by rocky mountains, so the wind blows hard and brings huge waves to the sandy shore. There are many stores along the coast where you can buy surfing equipment and boards.
You can learn how to board in Ensenado at Surf Ensenada. Experienced instructors will help even the most inexperienced surfers catch a wave right at the first lesson. This place is very popular with cruise ship tourists. After the surf lesson, tourists are escorted to a local restaurant for some delicious seafood tacos.
In this place you can do not only surfing, but also windsurfing, kitesurfing and diving.
- Surf school Vallarta Surf Tours, whose instructors will take you to the right surf spot, provide equipment and teach you how to catch a wave, can help you.
And for experienced surfers, instructors can tell where the best surf spots that only locals know about are.
- Puerto Vallarta Surfing offers surf tours and surf training.
The head coach with 30 years of experience was once a member of the Mexican national surf team, so this is one of the best places to learn and improve your surfing skills. Depending on your level of training, instructors will find the right board, take you to the surf spot and help you catch your first wave.
- Vallarta Surf n’ Dive offers surfing, windsurfing, diving and snorkeling lessons in the most picturesque locations.
Tourists can rent all equipment on site, beginners learn how to surf on La Lancha beach with low waves.
Despite the rather modest size of the village, this place is very popular among experienced surfers, due to the presence of high waves. The best time to board is earlier in the morning, as the waves are highest in the morning hours and there are no large crowds on the beach.
Many surf camps can be found on the shores of Sayulita.
- One of the best surf camps is Casa Buena Onda, located a 4-minute walk from the beach.
Anyone can rent a board and equipment, and beginners are offered surf lessons with an instructor.
- You can also learn how to stand confidently on a board at Sayulita’s WildMex Surf Camp.
The cost of the tour includes lodging and surfing instruction at the best local surf spots. The equipment rental shop has more than 300 different boards of different sizes.
Santa Maria Huatulco:
This place is popular with both experienced surfers and beginners, as the shore of this resort is washed by waves of different sizes, depending on the location of the beach. The beaches are surrounded by mountains, so the place is quite quiet, secluded and picturesque, the locals call it the Gate of Paradise. The highest waves are during the wet season from May to November, due to the strong winds blowing from the Pacific.
- In Huatulco, surfers like to congregate at La Bocana beach, where huge waves can be found.
- Experienced surfers are also recommended to visit the beach of Barra de la Cruz, where the highest waves are in June and July. You can stay in one of the hotels – there are 5* hotels as well as 3* hotels.
In any area of Mexico, you can easily find surf spots for any level of training and learn to ride a board at one of the local schools. Most surf camps and schools provide surf equipment for rent, so anyone can try this type of extreme recreation. And experienced surfers can find the best beaches and conquer the highest waves in the world.